As much as I love using my crockpot, I have yet to master a good soup or chili recipe. I’ve tried tons, but more often than not, it turns out bland and watery. Last week I made a chicken noodle soup that smelled amazing, but when we tried it, it just tasted like chicken water.
After dumping about a cup of salt in, it got better. But then I couldn’t get my wedding off to take a shower the next morning because my hands were so swollen.
I know cooking is trial and error but my family was starting to lose faith in me. That is, until, I found a chili recipe for the crockpot that’s actually good.
Ingredients and directions are oh-so simple:
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 lb spicy italian sausage
- 1 15oz can dark red kidney beans
- 1 15oz can white kidney beans
- 1 15oz can black beans
- 1/2 large onion
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 15oz cans tomato sauce
- 1 tb brown sugar
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tb chili powder
- 1 tb garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Brown ground beef and sausage
- Add seasonings including cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper
- Pour into crockpot
- Add onions, beans, salsa, tomato sauce, and brown sugar
- Cook on low 4 to 6 hours
- Garnish with cheddar cheese and sour cream
I served it with little squares of cornbread (the kind from the box – I’m still a tad bit lazy) drizzled with honey and my kids loved it. And the leftovers heated up great, so you can send them to work with your Huz the next day.
While you go to Olive Garden. 🙂